Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to Glyn's blog ...
I'm a reticent blogger ... but things are changin'!

10 July 2009

Saltaire ... fresh air!

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of spending the day in Saltaire and buying a Hockney .. OK, it was a poster! ;-) Until now, I hadn't had the opportunity of spending any time in this beautiful place and had only rushed through the little train station en route to Leeds or Keighley! But this is an amazing village, built up by Sir Titus Salt in the nineteenth century to provide housing for workers in his woollen mills.

I bought my Hockney [!] in Salt's Mill, converted to an art gallery and shops [with a focus on the renowned Bradford-born artist] in the 1980s, by Jonathan Silver.

But my recent for visiting Saltaire was even more exciting perhaps .. and that was to see the wonderful learning environment that the new Titus Salt School provides for its students, the staff and the local community. I was given a tour of the school which must sit somewhere at the forefront of design for learning and teaching and one which reflects exciting new beginnings in the village and one which continues its focus on community need. Take a look here ...

Three teachers from Titus Salt last year braved school moves and curriculum changes and some wonderful resources for the Teachnet UK programme. Take a look ...

Kevin Simpson, Statistics Modules 1 and 2
Hayley Thompson, Electricity
Martha Featherstone, The Art of Rhetoric

Thank you to the staff and students of Titus Salt for making me feel so welcome and for providing me with an opportunity to visit beautiful Saltaire.

No comments: