Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to Glyn's blog ...
I'm a reticent blogger ... but things are changin'!

30 July 2009

BLC09: Tom Daccord - Wikis for the classroom

Wikispaces
PBWorks
Mac wiki [coming soon!]

Wiki elements - collaborative. Multi users can edit the wiki at the same time [textured literacy]. Very flexible. Asynchronous. Can incorporate media.

You can make the wiki private by inviting other members - see Manage wiki.

The wiki contains a history so that you can retrieve earlier versions and also see who has been contributing and to assess the value of those contributions.

Students can incoporate video footage into a wiki.

There is a site especially for teachers - https://www.wikispaces.com/site/for/teachers

As I know about the basic use of wikis, I've decided to take up Tom Daccord's challenge to insert video footage ... a polling facility ... and reporting facility [stats!]

To add both, you need to find the 'add widget' tool on the toolbar and then choose the category of widget. For video materials, there are a number of compatible formats offered ... YouTube is one. I embedded the code for the YouTube video 'Wikis in plain English' into the video widget code box.

For polls, you can sign up to Survey Gizmo but this will cost you when the trial runs out in 14 days' time. And so I signed up to Poll Daddy offering a free polling/survey service. After creating my poll [very simplistic], you have access to code which you embed in the polling widget code box. Since writing this, I've also discovered Micropoll which seems to provide some very clear and simple designs.

My experimental wiki, in which I've mastered the art of inserting a video, a survey and a table of contents, can be found here ...

No comments: